Rosacea is a skin condition that causes facial flushing, redness and sensitivity across the cheeks, nose, chin and forehead. It can also cause redness and irritation on the scalp, eyes, ear and neck. People with fair skin and that blush easily are most likely to experience Rosacea.
Our body has chemicals called histamines and when they are released into our bloodstream, they cause itching and flushing.
What triggers Rosacea?
- Foods like bananas, dairy-based products, caffeine, spicy foods and alcohol.
- Stress (staying up pasture bedtime . . .)
- Extreme weather temperatures or sudden changes of temperature (like going from the cold air-conditioned office to outside in the heat of summer) or if it's very windy outside.
- Skin care - skin often becomes hypersensitive when Rosacea flares up. Make sure your range is suitable for sensitive skin (we've herd MooGoo is good)
- Some medications (particularly the use of antibiotics long-term)
- There have been some studies that indicate Rosacea can also be caused by an imbalance in the gut flora, which is often treated by antibiotics or diet. We would certainly recommend you do your own research as well to narrow down what is triggering yours.
- How can I help my skin?
Our Milk Wash is made using a combination of gentle, natural, low-irritant cleansers that will provide a very gentle and thorough cleanse, and is ideal for Rosacea as it had the same irritation score as water.
We have always recommended our Soothing MSM Cream to help soothe Rosacea. It has yummy skin repair ingredients in it as well as MSM (organic Sulphur), which is renowned for its skin calming properties.
A good moisturiser will help to restore the skin's barrier and guard against flare-ups from occurring due to your surrounding environment, and will also help to soothe your skin.